When it comes to eye color, no one color is better than the other. Psychologically speaking, as humans, we tend to like what we don’t have more than what we have. That being said, there are eye colors that are generally appreciated more. For instance, in a survey, respondents ranked green as the most favorite color, followed by light blue, and hazel at 3rd down the scale. So, do you want to change your eye color? Stick with me till the end of this post to explore all the possible ways.
Please keep in mind that no matter what eye color you have got, rest assured that it looks attractive to many. Still, it’s a free world and you may opt for a different color. May be your eyes are brown and you want them to be rather blueish or vice versa.
In this Chlorine post, we will look into the narrow range of options we have to get a different eye color. As we talk about all about all the available options, we will also mention some amazing eye color facts along the way.
What gives your eyes their color?
Presence, absence or variation in the amount of a pigment called Melanin, that’s the short answer. Different pigments are present in the front part of the iris giving the eyes their different colors. Here is how these pigments result in different colors:
- Blue Eyes: Absence of melanin, light reflected off of the protein collagen in the stroma.
- Light Brown eyes: Relatively low amount of melanin.
- Dark brown eyes: Higher amounts of the pigment.
- Hazel eyes: Combine action of a moderate amount of melanin at the anterior border layer of iris and Rayleigh scattering.
- Gray eyes: Thin layer of melanin on the front layer of the iris.
- Green eyes: An amber brown pigmentation in the stroma, some quantity of melanin, and Rayleigh scattering.
How to change your eye color?
Well, there is a very narrow window of opportunity to get a different eye color. If you want to try out different eye colors and see which one looks great on you, the only way to go around is by using contacts. Let’s explore all the other options we have:
1. Laser eye color lightening (permanent)
A non-invasive procedure to lighten eye color. This laser procedure has limited applications and can’t be used to get a color of your choice. The working principle is simple and straight forward. What it does is, it eliminates melanin in darker eyes to transform them into blue or gray eyes_as we mentioned above, the blue eye color is due to the absence of melanin.
Dr. Gregg, founder of Stroma Medical, a company that claims to have refined the technology explains the system in this video.
Important: Please note that this is not a medical advice and shouldn’t be taken as is, it’s just for educational purposes. You should do your due research before going for any sensitive procedure.
- The procedure is non-invasive and uses laser to burn and remove melanin.
- Uses no incisions or injections of any kind.
- The actual operation doesn’t take more than 20 seconds while results may be visible within 2-4 weeks.
You may also like: Get Longer Eyelashes Naturally, 5 Science Backed Home Remedies
2. Eating raw veg & detoxification (Refines eye color)
Eyes are not only the window to the soul but also to the world inside you. They work as an indicator to a person’s health status. Just by looking into a person’s eyes you can precisely tell if he/she is happy, sad, stressed out, heart-broken, tired, or energetic. Yup, eyes can tell these and many other things with deadly precision.
Iridology, also known as iridodiagnosis is an alternative medicine technique that relates different , patterns, eye color variations, spots and other eye characteristics to a persons systematic health. Though controversial, the technique is popular and has enormous number of proponents including renowned specialists.
Mega-healer and detoxification specialist Dr. Morse, who has treated some 250,000 patients has made a series of videos explaining how raw eating can transform your eye color.
Some foods and their effects on eye color:
- Spinach: Refines eye color, brightens, and gives eyes a youthful look.
- Raw honey: Brightens and adds warm hues.
- Sea foods: Make the color intense.
Carly Fraser of Live Love Fruit took the above pictures of her eyes before and after eating raw vegetables for 6 years. You may want to check out her color transformation story here.
3. Makeup and clothes (temporary)
Did you ever notice your eyes behaving like a chameleon, changing color as you change clothes? This is also valid for your makeup, hair color and other accessories. And the science behind is school-grade. For instance if you are wearing green clothes, your eyes will reflect the monochromatic light (single colored light, green in this case) and will look green. You can also intensity your eye color by carefully choosing the color of your attire.
Depending upon your eye color, here are the recommended out colors:
- Brown eyes: Gold, pink, and bright-green outfits.
- Blue and green eyes: Turquoise, emerald, and blue outfits.
- Gray eyes: Light-green, blue, and red outfits.
4. Contact lenses (instant, temporary)
The easiest and fastest way to get a different eye color temporarily is with contact lenses. You can go from dark brown to green in a matter of seconds. If you are going to try colored contacts, you may find the following information useful:
- While colored contacts have zero power and don’t interact with your vision, you may still need to get a prescription.
- Your eye is the most sensitive and delicate organ in your body, make sure you consult with a professional before going for contacts.
- Because colored contacts are normally thicker, you may need some time to get used to with.
- Like with any other product, contacts come in various brands. Do your research to get the most suitable ones.
Interesting eye color facts
Your eye color doesn’t only affect your appearance, but it also keeps a lot of other secrets in store. Let’s look into some of the most interesting ones.
- It’s difficult to predict a child’s eye color by his/her parents’ as just too many genes are involved in defining it.
- Babies mostly have blue eyes and sometimes it takes 4-12 years for the final color to reveal itself.
- All humans originally had brown eyes some 10,000 years ago. Genetic mutation gave birth to all other colors later on.
- Though not hard-wired, eye color is also considered to be associated with various personality traits. Brown eyes: Intelligent and trustworthy, Blue eyes: Sweet and kind Green eyes: Creative, a little devious and shy.
So, what color are your eyes? And which one is your favorite eye color? Save this pin or share this education information with others. No matter what eye color you have got, take good care of your eyes.