We all bear traces of the person we used to be. To others, it’s just a bit simpler than most. Some people who lose a huge amount of weight are often shocked and dissatisfied with how their bodies look even after the weight loss. While the fat is gone for good, the excess skin may need further workarounds.
The guide below will help you get the answer to all your questions. This wasn’t moving out.
- 0.1 Why You Get Excess Skin After Weight Loss?
- 0.2 How to Tighten Loose Skin after Weight Loss?
- 0.3 Case-1: Little to moderate loose Skin
- 0.4 Case 2: Excessive Loose Skin
- 0.5 Little to Moderate Loose Skin: How to fix?
- 1 1. Skincare routines
- 2 2. Home remedies
- 3 3. Skin-friendly diet
- 4 4. Adequate Exercises
- 5 5. Cosmetic procedures
- 6 Case-2: Excessive loose skin
Why You Get Excess Skin After Weight Loss?
When you lose a substantial amount of weight, you can have loose or what is called saggy skin. The magnitude to which you will undergo this relies on a few variables. The elasticity of the skin before and after the weight reduction phase defines how much— if any— you can have loose skin. The younger, more resilient skin is able to flick back more quickly to its real shape. Older skin is less elastic and does not scale down.
Your likelihood of developing excess skin is greatly impacted by how much weight you had lost and how soon you lose it. If you lose weight fast, the skin cannot shrink as rapidly as you would like. Many individuals who lose 100 pounds or more may have an excessive or sagging skin problem before they hit their target weight.
Many variables lead to loose or sagging skin after weight loss:
Length of time overweight: Generally, the more somebody becomes overweight or obese, the looser their skin would be following weight reduction due to elastin and collagen depletion.
Amount of weight lost: A weight loss of 100 pounds (46 kg) or more usually results in a greater amount of skin hanging than a more moderate weight loss.
Age: Older skin contains reduced collagen than younger skin and is looser after a wight loss.
Genetics: Your genes have an impact on the elasticity of the skin.
Sun exposure: Chronic exposure to sunlight has been found to minimize the development of collagen and elastin in the skin, which may lead to saggy skin.
How to Tighten Loose Skin after Weight Loss?
As mentioned above, there are various factors that influence how much loose skin you will have after losing weight. We understand that each person’s case may vary from the other; hence we will divide the guide into two, so you can benefit from it:
Case-1: Little to moderate loose Skin
People who experience case 1 will have some loose skin around their belly and may also have saggy upper eyelids. If you can relate to these symptoms, then you will be a part of case 1, and you should look for the cures and recipes that are effective for case 1.
Case 2: Excessive Loose Skin
People who experience case 2 will have some hanging skin around the belly area. They may also have saggy upper arms, loose skin bags under thighs (especially women). If you can relate to these symptoms, then you will be a part of case 2, and you should look for the cures and recipes that are effective for case 2.
Little to Moderate Loose Skin: How to fix?
If you are not dealing with excessive loose skin, you may not need to go under the knife. The skin can be tightened and toned with a combination of different skin regimens. This includes skincare routines coupled with a proper diet and adequate exercise.
1. Skincare routines
Skincare must be one’s Holy Grail, no matter if they are suffering from a disease or condition or not. A good skincare routine does not have to be extensive; even a mini skincare routine can do wonders. Find below the skincare routine if you are someone from case 1:
Moisturizers and Skin Firming Creams
Although the results of firming creams are always minimal, they can enhance the look of loose skin, especially dry skin that requires hydration. A moisturizer and skin firming creams combo can do wonders for those who have little to moderate amount of loose skin.
Sometimes, the effects of this combo can be shown instantly. Good hydration heals any lines and wrinkles that are left on your skin due to weight loss and make them less visible.
You may use a moisturizer or skin firming cream that contains retinoids. Retinoid eliminates free radical damage to the skin that can have a detrimental impact on collagen production. We all know collagen is what keeps our skin intact and tight, so our goal should be to incorporate products that can help collagen production.
Here are some of our top picks:
Zombie pack: The highly celebrated Zombie Pack is an efficient facelift solution available at an affordable price. The effects can be seen after just a couple of uses. You can also use the Zombie Pack to erase stretch marks after pregnancy. Read further details on the product page here.
Meaningful beauty: This special anti-aging kit is developed by none other than the supermodel Cindy Crawford and French anti-aging specialist Dr. Jean-Louis Sebagh. The product is widely appreciated for targeting wrinkles, fine lines for a visibly lifted and firmer skin.
M-61 Simply Spotless Kit: This blemish-fighting skincare set contains everything you need to help clear, balance and calm skin without stripping or overdrying. Mix and match to create a tailored skincare regimen that addresses specific concerns and keeps overactive skin under control!
AF-33 AVON: A-F-33 uses cutting edge molecular technology to curb collagen blockers. This ensures adequate production and supply of collagen to the skin cells. In just 3 days, you should see the skin getting back it’s elasticity and plumpness.
Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Retinol Cream: Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream is a dermatologist recommended Retinol anti-wrinkle cream clinically proven to visibly reduce fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging.
Skin exfoliation can do wonders for your skin. You can use an exfoliant, probably an organic exfoliator like honey and sugar. It will remove the dead cells from your skin, making your skin firmer and better; it will also provide hydration to the skin that will increase collagen production and increase blood circulation.
- Take a teaspoon of raw honey.
- Apply on the affected area and gently massage in a circular motion.
- Let it stay for 10 minutes and rinse off.
Limit UV exposure
Far too much time spent under intense rays or fake-baking will have adverse consequences on the skin and hasten the fine lines, wrinkles, and elasticity. It may also contribute to more severe issues, including skin cancer. When you’re out, make sure you wear appropriate sunscreen protection and protect yourself from harmful UV rays.
2. Home remedies
Home remedies can do wonders for skin tightening after a weight loss. try out a few home remedies listed below:
Raw Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is an inexpensive natural remedy. The plant’s malic acid is vital — simply remove the gel from the aloe Vera leaf and add it to the body. Keep it on for about 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
There are certain home remedies for skin sagging that are worth a try. For your Skin sagging, make use of strawberry masks. It has antioxidants and vitamin C-rich properties that can help to tighten skin sagging and eliminate any lines.
- Mash a few strawberries with 2 tbsp of yogurt and 2 tbsp of honey.
- Apply to the affected area and massage.
- Rinse with warm water. Simple as that, man!
Essential oil is great when it comes to reducing saggy skin. When you massage your skin with these essential oils, there will be an increased blood circulation in the affected area allowing the skin to tighten and repair fats.
Here are our top picks:
If you might want to try a natural remedy, consider applying grapeseed oil on the affected areas. It has been shown to tighten the skin and increase the elasticity of the skin. Grapeseed oil works towards providing firmer, wrinkle-free skin.
The fatty acids derived from grape seeds can contribute to repair and minimize scarring whilst both helping to mitigate and slow down the production of wrinkles. It can be used regularly, weekly or monthly; only make sure it is used sparingly.
Castor Oil is used in many natural remedies for healthy skin and hair. This is effective against pimples, wrinkles, and dark spots. It may also be used to lessen the visibility of stretch marks. It has anti-inflammatory agents that maintain the skin smooth. This also encourages stretch mark recovery.
How to apply?
- Dip your fingertips in castor oil and rub on the areas of stretch marks for 10 minutes.
- Consider the use of some heat to the area for half an hour.
- You may do so by using a hot water bottle or by having the region wrapped with a piece of warm fabric.
- When you perform this on a regular basis, you will be able to see the stretch marks disappearing. Castor oil may cause allergies to some, so ensure that you do a patch test.
3. Skin-friendly diet
Protein is the king
When you’re focusing on building up the muscle, ensure the body is well supplied with sufficient and consistent types of amino acids and protein. Collagen and elastin are two factors that are required to maintain skin elasticity and tightness — and they are typically available in protein-rich foods such as grass-fed beef, free-range organic poultry, wild salmon, chickens, berries, and bone broth.
Supplements to try:
Collagen hydrolysate: You need to have collagen for healthy, firm skin, as we stated before. A 2015 study indicates that supplementation of collagen can prevent detrimental effects of sagging skin.
Protein: Amino acids present in proteins (lysine and proline) are important building blocks for the formation of collagen in your body.
Vitamin C: Your body needs vitamin C for the production of collagen.
Gelatin: Gelatin is a form of collagen. It’s also found in treats like jello and chocolate. Gelatin is an ideal source of glycine, a building element for the development of collagen within your own body.
4. Adequate Exercises
Exercises are important whenever trying to achieve a healthier, toned look. Here are a few exercises that will help you.
Exercises, including crunches, help tighten and strengthen the muscles. They help to tighten excess skin.
- Conduct a simple crunch by laying on your back with your legs bent at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Interlock your fingertips and place them on the back of your head.
- By bending your spine, gradually lift your head and your upper back off the board.
- Keep on for five seconds and go back to your starting position.
- Do 10 to 20 reps.
When you lose weight, the skin beneath your shoulders gets loose. Overhead reaches can help tone this problematic region.
- Just lie down calmly with your back straight.
- Hold a dumbbell with your both hands. Straighten your arms backward until your upper arms touch your ears.
- Gradually bring the dumbbell in front of your face with your arms straight at the same time bending one of your legs up at a right angle.
- Keep on for 5 to 10 seconds and lower your arms.
- Do 10 to 12 reps with alternating legs.
Simple Chin Pulls
Loose skin on the neck gives the impression of a double chin. An exercise that works on this region of the body strengthens and tightens the muscles removing the presence of sagging skin.
- To begin a simple workout, just pull your head backward until you feel the stretch under your chin.
- With your mouth closed, try pressing your tongue against the palate.
- You will feel a strong stretch on the muscles under your chin.
- Do 15 reps.
Exercises to fix the saggy eyelids
Navigate to this post for a complete set of solutions on how to fix saggy upper eyelids.
5. Cosmetic procedures
A few nonsurgical methods can help your skin gain back some of its lost elasticity. These procedures include:
Ultrasound skin tightening.
This technique requires heat to induce the development of collagen. Focused ultrasound energy is transferred across the surface of the skin to heat deeper layers.
IPL combination treatments.
Such therapies incorporate intense pulsed light (IPL) with radiofrequency (RF). The procedure heats the outer and deeper layers of the skin to promote the formation of collagen.
Body-contouring can often be referred to as tuck or lift operation. They require incisions and the cutting of excess skin and fats. Such operations typically involve a hospital stay accompanied by a rehabilitation period at home.
Case-2: Excessive loose skin
Will non-intrusive methods work for you? Unfortunately, non-intrusive methods will most likely not work since the amount of leftover skin is excessive. Besides that, these methods already offer very little help. So, the best option in the case of excessive loose skin is to go under the knife.
Things to consider
Now that surgery is the only way to get rid of that hanging skin. you may want to consider the following good and bad things about it before pressing the let’s go button:
- Recovery is usually painful but people appreciate it’s mental and physical benefits.
- If you have any medical complications such as high blood pressure or diabetes, share your medical history with your doctor. You might think this is absurd as the doctor should already be investigating everything, but, man! even doctors sometimes do stupid things. So, better remind them.
- Even if you are fine with the saggy skin, you may still need to remove it due to the health risks it poses.
- Significant functional changes, such as improved fitness potential and decreased rash due to reduced skin folding.
- Last but not the least, your insurance probably won’t pay for the surgery.
Involved risks and temporary side effects
All surgical procedures come with some level of involved risks. More complex procedures usually have higher complication rates. Skin removal is generally a less risky operation, but you may still want to consider the possible ensuing risks. Let’s list some of them!
- Potential blood loss, hematoma (mass induced by absorption of blood) or sebum production.
- Exposed and severed tissues, wounds are susceptible to infections.
- Side effects include fever, achy and tender legs, dizziness, shortness of breath, chest pain, pain around the wound, feeling sick, and heartburns. While many of these side effects usually go away in a week, others take longer to disappear.
Was Chlorine useful today? Do you still have any questions in your mind regarding the topic? let us know in the comments. You may want to save this pin for later access or share this knowledge with others. Wish you the best of health!