What will we learn in this post? In this post we will learn about 5 best home remedies backed by science to get longer eyelashes naturally. While we talk about other home remedies that are popular but not supported by medicine, we will debunk some ”home remedies” along the way. We will also talk about the reasons behind shorter eyelashes and list some of the best lash enhancing serums
Longer and thicker eyelashes are undeniably one of the most prominent elements of a person’s facial beauty. While it is true that beauty doesn’t have a hard-line definition, it has generally been defined in terms of fuller lips, a clear chin line, a narrow nose, a slimmer face, and voluminous, longer eyelashes.
While you can work on improving the above-mentioned facial features, rest assured that you can still look beautiful without having any one of these, as the famous saying goes ‘beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder’. That being said, let’s come back to our today’s topic, i-e, how to get longer eyelashes naturally?
Before we go into the details, let’s answer this important question, is it even possible to grow longer eyelashes naturally? The short answer is a capital YES. You can definitely elongate and thicken your eyelashes with certain effective natural remedies. Besides these longer lash DIY remedies, there are eyelash enhancers/serums, though most of them come with irritating side effects. Nevertheless, we will also mention some eyelash serums at the end of this post.
Rule of thumb: Because eyelashes are also hair by nature, made up of same matter, any thing that can help with hair growth will automatically help with growing healthy, long and strong eyelashes.
- 1 The 5 home remedies to get Longer eyelashes naturally
- 2 1. Olive oil for longer, thicker eyelashes
- 3 2. Grow eyelashes with vitamin E oil
- 4 3. Green tea for voluminous lashes
- 5 4. Castor oil for longer eyelashes
- 6 5. Top 10 foods to grow eyelashes/strong hair
- 7 Other home remedies (not backed by science yet)
- 8 Debunked home remedies (research ruled them out)
- 9 Common reasons behind short eyelashes
- 10 Serums to get longer eyelashes
The 5 home remedies to get Longer eyelashes naturally
These five home remedies are widely appreciated for their effective eyelash/hair growth properties. Please note that like with any other treatment, the results may be slower in some and faster in others. Once you start implementing a home remedy, be patient and stick to it for the recommended period of time.
1. Olive oil for longer, thicker eyelashes
Olive oil is such a versatile kitchen ingredient that it has more applications outside the kitchen than inside. From relieving joint pain to removing makeup, and from growing long healthy hair to moisturizing the body, olive oil does a lot and with deadly effectiveness.
The major constituents of olive oil are saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, triacylglycerols, glycerol, phosphatides, pigments, sterols. The omega 3 fatty acids promote hair growth, increase luster and relieve dry hair roots. A study conducted by a team of researchers at Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea and University of Ulm, GERMANY found out that Oleuropein, a phenolic compound found in olive oil promotes hair growth in mice.
How to apply?
- Method-1: Moisten your thumb and index finger with olive oil. Now, massage it into your eyelashes by rubbing them in between your fingers.
- Method-2: You can also use a mascara brush to apply the oil. For this, dip a clean mascara brush in the oil and brush through your eyelashes.
- Be patient and continue the treatment for at least 3 months.
2. Grow eyelashes with vitamin E oil
Vitamin E has strong antioxidantal properties. The vitamin can release the oxidative stress and free radicles from hair follicles. A group of chemicals called Tocotrienols in the Vitamin E family are especially known to promote hair growth.
In a study conducted by a team of researchers at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains, Malaysia, 38 volunteers with signs of baldness were chosen. After 8 months of Vitamin E treatment, the patients started growing new hair.
How to apply?
- Method-1: Vitamin E oil can be applied directly to the eyelashes the same way you apply olive oil.
- Method-2: It’s also safe to ingest vitamin E supplements orally. You may, however, want to consult a professional before you do.
3. Green tea for voluminous lashes
You might already have heard of using used teabags to relieve puffy eyes. Green tea can also help with promoting eyelash and hair growth. The tea is rich in flavonoids, Vitaimins including vitamin B2, C, E, and folic acid. Minerals include potassium, calcium, phosphorus and manganese. Many of these vitamins are strong antioxidants that help with healthy hair growth.
A study published by the national institute of health in 2005 showed that extracts from green tea can ,in fact, stimulate hair growth. Researchers Adeleh Esfandiari and Paul Kelley from Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, department of Otolaryngology, divided mice suffering from hair loss into two groups. Group A was given polyphenol extracts from dehydrated green tea. Rodents in the group B were given normal drinking water over a period of six months.
At the end of the test period, scientists found out that 33% of the rodents in group A had done significant progress in hair growth while no rodent in group B had experienced any progress.
How to use green tea for eyelashes?
- Method-1: Because it’s a healthy tea with tons of health benefits, you may want to replace your morning coffee with it. Why go for coffee jitters when green tea can give you a better energy boost and offer countless other health benefits.
- Method-2: Boil a glass of water and add a handful of green tea leaves. let the mixture cool down in the fridge. Gently apply it on your lash lines with your fingers. Let it sit for 20 minutes and wash.
4. Castor oil for longer eyelashes
Besides it’s anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, castor oil is rich in Ricinoleic acid (about 90% of it). Ricinoleic acid content is thought to promote eyelash and hair growth by increasing blood circulation directly to the hair roots. While castor oil can be found as the major ingredient in my serums, it’s effectiveness as a hair growth remedy has been lauded by many and rejected by many others.
A a study conducted by V Ramya Maduri, Ahalya Vedachalam, and S Kiruthika at the Department of Dermatology, Karur Government Medical College and Hospital, India, even held castor oil accountable for hair felting, a condition where hair becomes twisted, entangled and hardened. So, better consult a dermatologist before going for this treatment.
How to apply?
- Pour a few drops of cold-pressed castor oil on a cotton swab.
- Compress the swab in between your thumb and index finger to moisten them.
- Now, massage your eyelashes making sure that the oil reaches your lash lines.
- Continue the treatment for at least 3-4 months.
5. Top 10 foods to grow eyelashes/strong hair
It is true that what we eat has the final say over everything we are. Some foods are good for one thing and others are good for something else. These 10 foods are great for healthy strong hair. Some in the list help with eyelash and hair growth, others add luster and strength.
- Salomon: Adds shine and luster.
- Greek yogurt: Helps grow faster.
- Spinach: Stops hair breaking by reducing brittleness.
- Guava: Battles brittleness.
- Cereals, grains and pastas: Prevent hair loss by battling iron deficiency.
- Lean poultry: Increases hair thickness.
- Sweet potato: Fights dry dull hair.
- Cinnamon: Aids in hair growth by boosting blood circulation.
- Eggs: Help grow strong healthy hair.
- Oyster: If you have zinc deficiency, you can even lose your eyelashes let alone hair. Besides fish, eggs, and cereals, oyster is a rich source of zinc.
Other home remedies (not backed by science yet)
There are other widely popular home remedies to grow longer eyelashes though not supported by nay scientific research yet. We are mentioning these remedies just because people have mentioned them extensively in their writings. Some may even appear on popular health magazines.
- Vaseline (petroleum jelly): Apply a thin coating directly to the eyelashes. Make sure you apply this before bed or when you are at home.
- Coconut oil: Apply to the lash lines with your fingers. Let it sit for an hour or two and wash off.
- Lemon peel oil: Take a table spoon and press a few lemon peels to extract the oil. Add a drop of olive oil and apply to your eyelashes.
- Shea butter: Place a small amount of shea butter on your palm. Rub with your fingers to melt it. Apply it to your eye lash lines.
Debunked home remedies (research ruled them out)
The following widely talked about ”home remedies” are now debunked by researchers. You may still find people writing about them in length, but the truth is, scientific evidence shows they are ineffective as home remedies to grow long eyelashes.
Common reasons behind short eyelashes
There can be multiple reason behind short eyelashes, both temporary and permanent. Here are the 5 most common ones and how they make your eyelashes shorter and thinner.
- Genetics: The most common reason behind short eyelashes is the same one behind your eye color, hair color, and height. It’s what you get in your genetic code.
- Age: Aging is the ultimate scavenger of everything we have. As we age, we produce less of everything needed for a healthy, strong, and beautiful body. In the case of eyelashes and hair, as we add more candles to our birthday cake, our eyelashes and hair get thinner, lose luster. This usually happens due to iron and mineral efficiencies. Additionally, the hair follicle stem cells fail to rejuvenate themselves causing the follicles to shrink.
- Medication: If you had longer and voluminous eyelashes previously but no more, you may find an answer in your medicine cabinet. Some drugs may cause the eyelashes to break as well as fall off. If you suspect your medication as the culprit, it’s always better to consult your physician.
- Makeup/eye drops: Products like mascara and eye drops may dry out the hair, make them brittle and cause them break mid-shaft.
- Menopause: Estrogen plays a vital role in hair growth and skin health. During menopause, the deficiency of estrogen may cause the eyelashes to get thinner. Because the condition is temporary, there is nothing to worry about.
Serums to get longer eyelashes
The beauty industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. It is no surprise that many companies have been investing heavily to produce new beauty products. When it comes to eyelash serums, there a couple of widely appreciated ones out there and we are listing them down here for you.
Important: Please note that we are not sure how effective these products are and if they pose any risks and side effects as well. This is just a list of the most popular serums for your knowledge and not a product review. Do your due research before you grab any of the products in this list.
- GrandeLASH™ – MD Lash Enhancing Serum (Enhancer, conditioner)
- Hairgenics Pronexa Lavish Lash Eyelash Enhancer & Brow Serum (Conditioner)
- RevitaLash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner (For lash strengthening)
- LashFood Phyto-Medic Eyelash Enhancer (Enhancer, claimed as natural)
- Organys Lash and Brow Booster Serum (Enhancer, claimed as natural)
That’s it! Now you know all the best home remedies to get longer eyelashes, home remedies that are backed by science, ones that are not yet verified by medicine, the debunked ones, and finally all the best lash enhancing serums.
So, was chlorine helpful today? If yes, we ask you to share your thoughts in the comments below, your past experiences with eye lash home remedies and serums, any questions in your mind. This will both encourage our writers to write more about the topic and help other readers as well.
Save this pin to come back later or share it with others. Else, Thanks for reading!